Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Westbank Transfer 8, Week 2, Feb 17, 2014

This has probably been the best week of my mission so far and Saturday was probably the best day of my life ever! It was just amazing. I received President Tilleman's permission to include the parts from two different emails where he talks about S and A. This first one is from January 27:

This weekend was such a spiritual feast for so many.  None was greater than that which we enjoyed in Kelowna yesterday.  Four wonderful people were baptized together – S and N in the Kelowna YSA (Kelowna 2nd ward); and E and Y in Kelowna 1st ward.  Attached is a picture right before that baptism.  The Spirit was so strong all through the service.  Wise missionaries from other wards and/or working with other people brought them to that service.  After the service, the sister missionaries from Westbank (Sister Mary Peterson and Sister Smigel) waved me over to meet some of their new friends (found miraculously during consecrated finding time).  Two children these sisters have just found (S who is 8 and A who is 11) literally whispered to me that they had a question for me.  I said “sure, anything you’d like.  Fire away.”  And these two little children then asked, “Would you come back and baptize us”?  “Absolutely,” I said.  I thought of the scriptures that remind us:   Suffer the little children to come unto the Savior; for those who accept one of these little ones in the name of the Savior, accept the Savior!  Matthew 18:2-6; Mark 10:14-16.  I said absolutely.  We scheduled their baptisms in two weeks.  The Westbank Sisters reported that these children, supported by their mom, decided to get baptized right during the baptismal service that was held in Kelowna last night!  Also attached is a picture of that baptism.  This family was found on a street where Heavenly Father sent our two sister missionaries in Westbank after many days of significant and almost total rejection for them.  Way to go, Sister Peterson and Sister Smigel!!  Thank you for persevering and following the Spirit in your finding efforts!"

This is what President Tilleman said about the baptism in today's email:

One of the true highlights of my week (indeed of my mission), was the baptism of S and A, in the Westbank Ward.  This is the wonderful family (Sister O, and her two children, A and S) who came with our Westbank Sisters (Sister Smigel and Sister Peterson) to an incredible baptism in Kelowna a few weeks ago.  These two came up and asked me if I would come back and baptize them, too.  They said they made the decision to be baptized during the baptismal service in Kelowna.  I said I would be extremely pleased to do that, and returned on Saturday to perform those sacred ordinances.  A picture is attached for you to enjoy.  One of our brand new missionaries, Elder Lee, who is serving in Westbank later confirmed S!
 It was such a sacred evening.  The Spirit was so strong.  Sister Peterson sang “I Am a Child of God,” and while S and I were heading to the baptism, he said to me, “President Tilleman, wasn’t Sister Peterson’s song beautiful”?  I said, “It sure was.”  And young S continued, “I cried during the song, but they were tears of joy, President Tilleman.”  I about melted into the ground.  As I was there at that baptismal service, I thought of the Savior’s command to suffer the little children to come unto Him.  See Matthew 18:2-5; 12-15; Mark 10:13; 3 Nephi 17:15-25.  We were doing that this weekend!  I also thought that A and S were old enough to ask for themselves (with their mother’s permission) to be baptized, and to feel the power of the Holy Ghost (like S did during Sister Peterson’s song).  It was a great evidence to me in every aspect that the Church is true.  We bless little children, like Jesus did, when they are infants or very small.  See Mark 10:13.   Babies and infants do not need baptism to be saved.  See Moroni Chapter 8.  But when they are old enough to be choosing between good and evil, and right and wrong, they are invited to and can and should be baptized.  The Church is true!
The baptism was so wonderful. Just so amazing. I'm still in awe that I got to be a part of that. Those two children are so precious. And E looks so different. She looks so much happier and she is glowing. There is no other way to describe it. It was just amazing.
But it didn't end there. We got to talk to President Tilleman after the baptism, and he gave Sister Smigel permission to come down to the Lower Mainland this week. The reason is two-fold. Sister Smigel ended up on bed-rest this week, and he wants her to see the mission doctor. She is doing a little better, but still super weak, and her right side is swollen and she is still shaky. It gets really bad if we go out and do anything, so we were resting all week. That was super super hard. I kinda got cabin fever. I am so tired of my apartment. So we are going to see a doctor. But A, one of the recent converts that I taught in Surrey is going through the temple for her endowment on Friday, so we get to go to that too!!!! I am so excited. I haven't been to the temple since July, and I miss it so so much. I am just over the moon about that.

And it still gets better. As we were leaving the church after the baptism, we got a call from the Kamloops 1st sisters. They have an investigator that is getting baptized this week, and they have been using N to fellowship her. She asked N to baptize her!! And they also said that they took him to one of their lessons, and they had told N beforehand that they were going to be teaching about tithing, so he said he went home and studied about tithing in True to the Faith and Preach My Gospel so he would be prepared to help the sister teach. I am so proud of them!!! It is so amazing to see those that I have worked with progressing in so many different ways. It is just so wonderful!! Serving a mission is truly the most joyful experience I have ever had. I don't know if I have ever been happier than I have been as a missionary. There are hard times, I had quite a few this whole last week, but they are so worth it. I would do everything a thousand times over for the joy that I am able to experience with those who I am able to help. And it goes both ways! They teach me so much and they are just wonderful amazing people. I am just overwhelmed by the love they share and the love I feel for them. This is truly God's work, because there is no other way everything would work out as it does or that I could feel the way I do. There are no words to describe it. 
I love you all so much!
Sister Peterson

PS I forgot to mention this last time... But the Apostle who is coming is Elder D Todd Christofferson! And he is going to be accompanied by Bishop Gerald Causse, Elder Marcos A Aidukaitis and Elder Christensen! I am super excited for this!!

"Ours is not a feeble message. It is not a fleeting task. It is not hapless; it is not hopeless; it is not to be consigned to the ash heap of history. It is the work of Almighty God, and it is to change the world. . . So we have neighbors to bless, children to protect, the poor to lift up, and the truth to defend. We have wrongs to make right, truths to share, and good to do. In short, we have a life of devoted discipleship to give in demonstrating our love of the Lord. We can't quit and we can't go back. After an encounter with the living Son of the living God, nothing is ever again to be as it was before. The Crucifixion, Atonement, and Resurrection of Jesus Christ mark the beginning of a Christian life, not the end of it." -- Elder Jeffrey R Holland

No comments:

Post a Comment